Botox TMJ Treatment, Vaughan Ontario
Dr. Robert P. Barron, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon of Concord Oral Surgery in Vaughan is now offering Botox injections for the treatment of muscle contracture headaches and pain pertaining to temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction.
Botox® belongs to a class of drugs called botulinum toxins, from the bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. The bacterium produces a protein that prevents the transmission of the messages from the nerves to the muscles which make them contract and move. Once this transmission has been blocked, overactive muscles begin to relax, resulting in a reduction of muscle spasm and pain in the patient. This effect is completely reversible and is expected to last for a few months with muscle function returning to normal.
TMD symptoms include:
- pain and tenderness in or around the ear, jaw joint
- pain in the muscles of the jaw, face, temples, neck
- facial pain upon wakening
- difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- crepitus – tmj clicking/popping, crunching/grinding noise during oral function
- motor vehicle accidents
- jaw/face injuries
- bruxism (tooth clenching or grinding)
- head/neck muscle tension
- oral habits
- worn/ill-fitting dentures
If you have TMJ symptoms and would like to learn more, please contact our office for a consultation with our surgeon to determine if Botox is right for you. Botox is approved by Health Canada and the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario for the temporary control of overactive muscles.
Call us with any questions or to make an appointment.905-669-2616